Monday, November 21, 2011

I am the King of the (cramped, dirty) Kitchen

Last week my girlfriend and I finally got around to using the Star Wars Cookie Cutters I got for my birthday back in August. The fact the the cutters mark the details into the face of the cookies means there are some difficulties with icing. Also, I insisted on being a little piggy and completely covering the face of each cookie with royal icing, so I really only have myself to blame.



Full-sized photo here

We also didn't have the right shades of food coloring, which is why Boba Fett is a pastel nightmare and the stormtrooper looks like he forgot he couldn't eat chocolate pudding through his helmet. We did come up with an interesting solution for Vader, though. Rather than mix all the colors together into something bile-colored, I popped him into the toaster oven until I knew he was just right (aka the smoke detector went off). Once he was carbonized into the right color, I watered down the icing so it would wipe easily off the surface, but would still get stuck in the details. The result is beautiful, but only useful as a punishment for a bad child.

No comments:

Post a Comment